Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sandra daCOSTA | Film Army Interview

MARKETING THE INDIVIDUAL: CAREER STYLE WITH SANDRA DACOSTA 
 
November 28, 2012 Written by Jon Ellis
The Devil Walks Among You

I have been doing a lot of interviews lately with EP’s and other management figures, but this time I decided to get an actor’s perspective.

On that bombshell, let’s get straight into it. I had a great chat with Toronto’s own Sandra DaCosta regarding her career, how she got to where she is now, and the lightning speed at which she’s been progressing.

This eloquent goddess of Canada has been breaking hearts in all sorts of productions, but better yet, let’s let her tell us in her own words.

Sit back and enjoy!

Jon Ellis: How did you get involved in film? What inspired you?

Sandra DaCosta: My interest in film began at a young age. My imagination has always been my best friend and was, and still is, my greatest source of entertainment. I’m a daydreamer and as a result my career in film began innocently enough with appearances in several music videos which allowed my focus for film to take flight from there.

JE: How do you market yourself as an actress?

SD: The professionals in our trade are fairly immune to marketing tricks and ploys; hence I chalk it down to talent, experience and presence with regards to my colleagues and peers. Connecting with fans and the masses encompasses going viral via social media outlets and utilizing my work and work ethic as well as connections to reach people through thoughts, opinions, expertise and vision. I attempt to humanize and personalize my stories for the people I’m trying to reach. I take initiative by actively and creatively leveraging social media. It’s a fine line of balance between selling yourself and selling a product.

JE: What kinds of outlets should actors be plugging themselves through? How do you get “noticed”?

SD: To market yourself as an actor I feel one should have the basics in place first…

- Talent
- Headshots and a credible resume (do not lie on your CV)
- Demo reel (no longer than three minutes) or videos that lend credibility to your expertise and talent
- Website and/or blog

One can then incorporate online outlets such as Casting Workbook, Facebook, Twitter, website, and blog as a source of marketing. Create a blog to utilize as a journal of your accounts and the processes involved with being an actor (both the highs and lows), which you can personalize for the audience you are attempting to reach. It’s a means of creating content. This is how I participate and contribute content, advice and information as I strive to build an online portfolio. It is essential that you work on your marketing strategy everyday; it’s what gets me noticed.

JE: What role do you think marketing plays for the individual actor early in a career?

SD: The beginning stages of an actor’s career can be incredibly overwhelming. There is no rhyme or reason as to why it works for some and not others. There is no formula or staple. Utilizing and strategizing social media and figuring out your marketing game plan can make all the difference in leveraging your career. There is no time like the present. Just do it already, get the ball rolling. Jump in with both feet. Procrastination is the detriment of anyone wanting to be involved the entertainment industry.

JE: How large a part does social media play in your career? What’s the best way to take advantage of it?

SD: Social media is a huge aspect of my career. I’ve discovered over the last year or two that it’s imperative to have social media outlets at your beckon call. I’ve built a fantastic Twitter following of fans, directors, writers, producers and actors who actively engage me and promote my work and my following just keeps getting bigger, which feeds the machine. Most of my interviews/articles that have been published online were opportunities that I received as a result of relationships developed through Twitter. My blog – http://themoviestarnextdoor-dacosta.blogspot.ca/ – takes up a bit more time but I love utilizing this outlet as well as I’m constantly creating content that I can share on Facebook and Twitter. Twitter is by far my favorite go to source for content sharing (micro-blogging).

JE: What do you think the growth/evolution potentials are for the indie film market?

SD: I firmly believe that the indie scene is creating its own movement and is seriously establishing itself as a means of creating professional works that can rival mainstream film productions. Let’s face it, Hollywood has run out of original ideas, hence all the horrible remakes. Remember movies such as Night of the Living Dead by George Romero, Clerks, Paranormal Activity, El Mariachi, and my favorite, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels came from the independent think machine. Indie films are pushing past the festival circuit and into the box office. Major film studios are taking notice and are creating opportunities for themselves to supplement indie film productions because there’s money to be made.

JE: Do you think online fundraising platforms are the future?

SD: Crowdfunding is a valuable resource and phenomenon where people come together to invest directly in a person’s idea/project. The key to generating interest in your project comes from being able to tell a compelling story, which will in turn draw those interested in “backing” your product/service. You need to keep the momentum going to continue spreading the word. Share your progress (social media platforms… yes, creating content), offer unique rewards that are exclusive, something that funders just have to get their hands on. Fundraising platforms have the potential to be the go to for financing films, but you have to know how to market yourself and your project in order to sell it.

JE: What is the future for Sandra?

SD: Besides having my sights set on LA & NY, I’m currently working with E11even Entertainment on their latest endeavor – an action/adventure TV pilot directed by Allen Saulnier. The concept is world travelers in search of treasure with an element of danger. It’s Indiana Jones meets Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. The series stars breakout actor, or better yet, tomorrow’s Tom Cruise, Christopher Thompson (http://onetakethompson.com/) in the physically demanding lead role of Jason Carter, and myself in the lead role of Maya who is a pleasant blend of “the girl next door” and “femme fatale” – charming, disarming and intelligent. I’m also slated to shoot two feature films in 2013, one of which will find me collaborating once again with Ryan Andrews, the director of the feature film SICK “Survive The Night” which will be making its world premiere at Fright Night’s The Blood In The Snow Canadian Film Festival November 30, 2012, presented by Fangoria’s Kelly Michael Stewart.

SICK “Survive The Night” website: http://sicksurvivethenight.com/
Event and ticket information here: https://guestlistapp.com/events/129540

JE: What advice would you give someone trying to make it in the industry?

SD: My advice to anyone attempting to make it into the entertainment industry is to shut out the negativity you’ll receive from the people around you who just don’t understand your goals and aspirations for the future. Be humble and grateful for the opportunities that cross your path. Always take the greatest risks possible and work your ass off everyday, as it’s your work ethic that will make you stand out in a sea of “wannabes.”



Thanks so much Sandra for taking the time to chat with me about your perspective on everything film/marketing and dollars. I can honestly say that without individuals of this caliber coming out of Canada our industry would fall on its rump.

Be sure to check Sandra at all her other online tentacles and, as always, Tweet me at @baconjonny about the cool things you guys are doing, and if I deem them awesome enough, we’ll be sure to talk.

Sandra DaCosta’s linkage:
Website
Blog
Twitter 

ORIGINAL INTERVIEW CAN BE FOUND HERE http://www.blog.filmarmy.ca/2012/11/marketing-the-individual-career-style-with-sandra-dacosta/

No comments:

Post a Comment